The Take Action SC Environmental Education Partnership is dedicated to providing a program that informs, inspires and empowers students and teachers to protect and preserve the environment.
Comprised of DHEC’s Office of Solid Waste Reduction and Recycling, Coastal Carolina University, PalmettoPride, S.C. Department of Energy and Sustainable Carolina at the University of South Carolina, the partnership program offers lessons and support material, teacher workshops and classroom presentations to promote waste reduction, recycling, composting, litter prevention and sustainability.
Other workshop partners such as Clemson University, Environmental Educators Association of South Carolina and the S.C. Department of Education have also helped with the summer workshop for teachers throughout the years.
More about the Action Curriculum Supplement …
“Action for a Cleaner Tomorrow” (“Action”) is an award-winning, interdisciplinary, activity-based curriculum supplement that provides an introduction to solid waste, recycling and composting to kindergarten through eighth-grade students. It is the centerpiece of the Take Action SC Partnership.
“Action” was developed by teachers and DHEC’s Office of Solid Waste Reduction and Recycling in conjunction with the S.C. Department of Education in 1993. It features lessons correlated to South Carolina’s science standards that include state- specific information when possible.
- The curriculum supplement is available to teachers at no cost who attend a two-hour workshop.
- Classroom presentations also are available at no cost for fifth-grade, seventh-grade and high school students.
Action Highlights …
- Action was introduced in 1993 and developed and tested by South Carolina teachers
- Includes lessons on recycling, waste reduction, composting, buying recycled, air and water, and has a glossary and an extensive resource section that offers background on specific issues from a global, national and South Carolina perspective
- Holds free teacher training workshops that have been attended by more than 50,000 teachers
- Has won national awards including the White House “Closing the Circle” Award, the Excellence in Solid Waste Education Award presented by the Solid Waste Association of North America, and the National Recycling Coalition’s Beth Brown Boettner Award for Outstanding Public Education
To have “Action in the Classroom” come to your fifth-grade, seventh-grade or high school class, schedule an educator or call us at 1-800 768-7348 (toll free).